In most of the United States, the UK, Canada, and at least 12 other countries, Siblings Day is tomorrow, April 10th. Here are some statistics/ facts about the day:
- Coverage of Siblings Day is bound to occur on social media, on the news, and by celebrities.
- Last year, Siblings Day was the most mentioned day on social media.
- It was founded in 1997 by adult sibling loss survivor, Claudia Evart, who lost both of her siblings at early ages (brother, Alan, age 36; sister, Lisette, age 19). April 10th was Lisette’s birthday.
So, while it is ironic that the pain and envy we may feel as sibling loss survivors tomorrow is triggered when people share their love for their living siblings in the multitude of posts, media mentions, etc, remember Claudia founded this day in memory of her late sister to emphasize the importance of the sibling relationship. While it may still cause distress or discomfort, taking care of yourself tomorrow (and every day) is important.
Here are some tips for tomorrow:
1) Decide if you want to stay connected and see the posts of friends, family, strangers, and celebrities.
- It’s okay to decide to take a break from being so connected!
- It’s okay to engage in the posts!
- It’s okay to change your mind once or more throughout the day!
- Do what’s best for you!
2) It may help to find a way to honor the relationship you had and still have with your late sibling.
- Doing so, and staying connected to them can bring a range of emotions from joy to love to sadness to overwhelming despair and anything in between.
3) If you are comfortable sharing a story about your late sibling or living siblings, go for it!
If you do, help us spread awareness of how difficult sibling loss is by doing the following:
Tag The Broken Pack with the following tags:
- Facebook: @brokenpack
- Instagram: @thebrokenpack
- TikTok: @The_Broken_Pack
- LinkedIn: The Broken Pack, LLC
- Use the hashtags: #siblinglossawareness, #thebrokenpack, #siblingsday, #NationalSiblingsDay2023, and if applicable, #siblinglosssurvivor, #sharingmysiblinglossstory
4) Show yourself kindness and compassion (tomorrow and any time you need it).
- Take breaks if needed
- Set boundaries
- Treat yourself with love, kindness, and compassion.
- Be curious about the emotions you have- no matter what they are!
5) Know that you are not alone! We are with you!
To catch up on the podcast click below or go to wherever you listen to your podcasts! (We have new episode art!)
How can you support us?
- Listen, follow, like, share, and subscribe to our social media and podcasts.
- Please support the ongoing efforts of The Broken Pack by shopping the store (link with shopping cart below) or by making a gift (link with upward arrow below).
- Stay tuned for our announcements and for season 2 which will be out later this year.
- Keep reading these newsletters and share with others to help us get the word out!
- If this was forwarded to you go here to subscribe.